Article

Agenda & Minutes - Jan 21

PROPOSED AGENDA - Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 6pm at the Co-op Store
Welcome / Introductions

Election of Officers:
_____________  President        ____________ Vice-President   
_____________  Secretary        ____________ Treasurer

ESTABLISH MEETING DAY, TIME & LOCATION:

PROPOSED BY-LAWS:

FINANCE REPORT:
Budget Overview (Ron Kidder - from Steering Committee)

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:
Community Meeting Jan. 16, 2015

CO-OP COORDINATOR REPORT:

TASK GROUP REPORTS/UPDATES:
   (Finance, Membership, Promotion, Product Development, Retail Store )

OLD BUSINESS:

NEW BUSINESS:
1    -Mission/Vision Clarification
2    -Board Strengths Training - (Initiative Foundation - Dan Frank?)
3    -Membership Structure - Member Launch proposed for Feb. 17, 6pm
4    -Policies

MISSION: To provide access to local, sustainable and healthy food and products.

Incorporating Board of Directors:
__x___ Jason Baca
__x___ Vanessa Bye
__x___ Geoff Davidge
__x___ John Ehlert
__x___ Dan Kayser
_____ Kim Larson
___x__ John Plein, president/chair
___x__ Eleanor Rice
___x__ Dan Yavner (arrived 6:30pm)
___x__ Co-op Coordinator: Barb Mann

MINUTES - Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 6pm at the Co-op Store
Welcome / Introductions - President/Chair JPlein convened the meeting at 6:10pm.  Welcome and Introductions made as the first Board of IGM.

Election of Officers:
President: John Plein - elected at Jan 16 community meeting        
Vice-President:  Geoff Davidge   
Secretary: Barb Mann (as staff to Board)                      
Treasurer: Dan Yavner
Motion by ER, 2nd by JE to approve the slate of officers presented. Motion passed.

ESTABLISH MEETING DAY, TIME & LOCATION: decided to meet weekly for now, Mondays, 6:30pm at the store in Ideal Corners.

PROPOSED BY-LAWS: These are proposed by the Steering Committee and have been reviewed by those members.  Clarity for this Board needed on Article XI- Operation at Cost & Member Capital. Suggested to have a CPA and/or attorney friend review and provide clear explanation to Board.  VB offered to ask relative who is attorney, review on our behalf and inform us of any glaring concerns.  These can serve as guiding by-laws for the Incorporating Board until such time as the member/owners approve them officially at an Annual Meeting.

Motion by DY to have the Incorporating Board operate under the Proposed By-laws of 01/13/2015 as distributed with pursuant to advice of professional council.
2nd: VB, discussion. Motion passed.

FINANCE REPORT:
Budget Overview: obviously there is no money at this point.  There is a "proposed budget" per the Steering Committee work on the Pro Forma that needs to be reviewed/revised/decided upon.

Discussion moved into product possibilities, determination of what guides those choices, concern over local appeal beyond simply "organic" and what will help the community feel welcome and interested in patronizing the co-op.  Much needs to be considered and the task group that will be set up to work on this will aid the Board with overall direction.

BMann- coordinator raised point of order in focusing on Budget and decisions needing to be made in regards to member/owner structure based on timeline of a Member Launch Community Meeting of February 17, 6pm set at the Jan. 16 community meeting. She presented in brief a timeline looking at the proposed opening of mid-May per work of Steering Committee.  None of this is set firm as the Board needs to make decisions around this timeline, structure, budget, etc. in order to progress toward goal of opening a food co-op.

Discussion ensued regarding member/owner structure prposed by Steering Committe. Concerns noted included accessibility to any who want to be member/owners, and how to "allow" for those who want and are able to contribute more equity for capital to start up the co-op. It was noted to keep it as simple as possible and focus on serving local year-round residents.  It was decided to research options, email the Board members collectively, and be prepared to evaluate, discuss and decide, if possible, on member/owner structure at the next Board meeting January 26, Monday, 6:30pm.

BM suggested timeline of opening a Bank Account by January 30. VB agreed to get an EIN (employer identification number) that is needed to open a business checking account. Board members who are able will be prepared to pay member/owner fee for first deposit.

Pres. JP noted need to address working Task Groups and their responsibilities at next Board meeting. Rest of Agenda was tabled with commitment to pick up at next meeting.

Motion to adjourn VB, 2nd: JP. Motion passed.

It was noted the next Board meeting is Monday, January 26, 6:30pm.

Meeting Adjourned 7:43pm.

ITEMS TABLED:
MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:
Community Meeting Jan. 16, 2015

CO-OP COORDINATOR REPORT:

TASK GROUP REPORTS/UPDATES:
   (Finance, Membership, Promotion, Product Development, Retail Store )

OLD BUSINESS:

NEW BUSINESS:
1    -Mission/Vision Clarification
2    -Board Strengths Training - (Initiative Foundation - Dan Frank?)
3    -Membership Structure - Member Launch proposed for Feb. 17, 6pm
4    -Policies
 

Tags: 

 

Gardening resources

Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit 501(c)(3) status organization dedicated to saving and sharing seeds.

http://www.seedsavers.org/

 

What is GMO?

The Non-GMO Project

Click here to learn more.

 

Events and Activities

 

Delicious inspiration

Cook Smarts is designed to educate, inspire, and nourish.

 

Find Us on Facebook

My Photostream